Dr. Syamkumar R. S. is an Associate Professor at the School of Law, Alliance University. He received his Ph.D. from the Centre for Advanced Legal Studies and Research, Trivandrum. He completed his LL.B. and LL.M. degrees from the University of Kerala obtaining the first rank and gold medal for both.
His research interests include Environmental and Biodiversity Law, Sustainable Development Law, and Intellectual Property Law. He has widely published in peer-reviewed journals and has numerous conference papers to his credit including three international papers. He has over eight years of teaching and research experience in prestigious institutions, including the Kerala Law Academy, Trivandrum and NMIMS, Mumbai.
He is the recipient of numerous laurels and fellowships including the Prakulam.C.Padmanabhan Pillai law prize, M.S. Menon Gold Medal, Sadasivan Pillai Law Prize, Justice T. Kunhiraman Nair Memorial Gold Medal and the Henry Dunant Scholarship by ICRC in 2006.
Summits, Conferences and Seminars Attended:
- Presented a paper titled Traditional Ecological Knowledge as a Facilitator for Adaptive Management of Bio-Resources - Opportunities and Challenges, in the Second International Seminar on Health, Human Rights & Intellectual Property Rights Organized by Centre for Health Law and Policy (CHLP), Centre for Human Rights (CHR), Centre for Intellectual Property Rights (CIPR) and NUALS Kochi from October 21-23, 2016
- Presented a paper titled “A Revisit on the Proposed Western Ghats Ecology Authority from on Adaptive Management Perspective, in the International Law Conference on conservation of Forests, Wildlife and Ecology, 15th 17th December, 2012, Trivandrum.
- Presented a paper titled “Management of Space Debris: Contemporary challenges and Response” in the International Conference on Space Law, 9th-11th April 2015 at Kerala Law Academy Campus, Trivandrum.
- Presented a paper titled “Human Right to Domestication of Other Life Forms: Foundation for the Rights of other Life Forms“ in the National Seminar on Human-Wildlife Conflict – Espousing the Need for Eco-Governance of Forests and Wildlife held from 8th to 10th March 2018 organized by His Highness Maharaja’s Government Law College, Ernakulam
- Presented a paper titled “A Legal Gap analysis to assess the Response of Indian Legal Regime to Nagoya Protocol “ in the National Seminar on Intellectual Property Rights – Problems and Prospects held on 11th and 12th January 2018 organized by IQAC, Government Law College, Trivandrum
- Presented a paper titled “ Conflict of Human Rights of faith and Environmental Pristinity: ” in one day National Seminar on Democracy, Tolerance and Human Rights, held in the Kerala Law Academy on 29th March 2016
- Presented a paper titled “ Uniform Civil Code and Secularism in new Indian context” in the National Seminar on Secularism in India –Challenges and Prospects, organized by the Kerala Law Academy in association with the Centre For Advanced Legal Studies and Research held on 18th and 19th December 2015.
- Presented a paper titled “Role of ADR in Environmental Disputes Resolution in a national workshop on Alternative Dispute Resolution organized by the Kerala Law Academy in association with the Kerala State Legal Services Authority and Kerala State Mediation and Conciliation Centre from 24th -26th January 2015
- Presented a paper titled “Human Rights Issues Pertaining to Biodiversity Protection: An Overview” in the National Symposium on Changing Perspectives of Human Rights in Contemporary Society, on 21stand 22ndOctober 2011, Trivandrum.
- Presented a paper titled Genome and Human Dignity-Ethical and Legal Issues in the UGC sponsored National Inter disciplinary Seminar on Science, Technology and Human Rights held from 8th-10th October 2009 at Trivandrum
- Presented a paper titled “Team Teaching as Method for Imparting Legal Education” in the National Seminar on Legal Education Reforms organized by the Department of Law, University of Kerala held on 06.02.2009
Sessions Chaired and Officiated as Resource Person
- Officiated as a resource person for the session on “Human-Wildlife Interface –Identifying Conflict Situations “ in the National Seminar on Human-Wildlife Conflict – Espousing the Need for Eco-Governance of Forests and Wildlife held from 8th to 10th March 2018 organized by His Highness Maharaja’s Government Law College, Ernakulum
- Officiated as a resource person for the session on “Linkages between Sustainable Development, Security and Terrorism” in the National Seminar on Anti -Terrorism Laws and Human Security held at KLALC, Trivandrum on 3rd October 2016
- Chaired a session on “Sustainable Development and Terrorism” in the National Seminar on Anti-Terrorism Laws and Human Security held at KLALC, Trivandrum, on 3rd October 2016
- Acted as resource person in the National Workshop on Legal Research Methodology organized jointly by Centre for Advanced Legal Studies and Research and Kerala Law Academy Law College from 11th -12th November 2013 at the Kerala Law Academy Law College.
- Acted as a resource person in the National workshop on Role of Intellectual property Rights in the knowledge Era organized by Kerala State Council for Science, Technology and Environment on 16th and 17th November 2012
- Acted as resource person in the National Workshop on Legal Research Methodology organized jointly by the Department of Law, University of Kerala and Kerala Law Academy Law College from 16th -17th January 2012 at the Kerala Law Academy Law College
- Participated in the second National Biodiversity Congress-Indian held on 26th& 27th Feb, 2015 at Kanakakkunnu Palace, Trivandrum, Kerala.
- Participated in the National Interdisciplinary Seminar on Science, Technology and Law organized by the Department of Law, University of Kerala on 25th -27th September.
- Participated in a workshop on Intellectual Property Rights organized jointly by KSCTE and Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Chair, Dept. of Law, University of Kerala on 23rd 25th October 2008.
- Participated in a National Seminar on “Cyber Crime, Cyber Law and Cyber Security organized by Centre for Development of Imaging Technology (C-DIT) at Trivandrum on February 8th and 9th, 2009.
- Participated in a National Seminar on Intellectual Property, Scientific Progress and Access to Benefits of Science: Human Rights Perspectives organized by the Department of Law, University of Kerala held on 20-22nd August 2009.
- Syamkumar R.S. Re-engineering Bio Safety Regime for Sustainability of Bio-Resource utilization KUJLS (accepted for publication)
- Syamkumar R S, “Legal Response of Bio Resources Regime to Climate Change”, XL Ac.L.R (2016) ISSN: 22785108
- Syamkumar R S, “Designing a Dedicated National Law on Traditional Ecological Knowledge”, 39 Ac.L.R (2015) ISSN: 22785108
- Syamkumar R S, “Contemporary Reflection on Traditional knowledge protection in International fora”, 38 Ac.L.R (2014) ISSN: 22785108
- Syamkumar R S, “Management of Invasive Alien species for sustainability of Bio Resource utilization”, 37 Ac.L.R (2013) ISSN: 22785108
- Syamkumar R S, “Environmental Protection During International Armed conflict: A Perspective from International Environmental Law and Law of Arms control”, 32 Ac.L.R (2008) ISSN: 22785108
Professional Training Programs Attended:
- Faculty Development Program on “Effective Pedagogical Tools in Legal Education”, held during 11th-17th February 2017, organized by SVKM’s Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, School of Law, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Attended a Professional Development Training for Teachers on Teaching ADR Skills and Ethics for Better Legal Services, jointly organized by IBA-CLE Chair, NLSIU, Menon Institute of Legal Advocacy Training and Kerala State Higher Education Council, Trivandrum from 05-07 January 2015.