Dr. Benarji Chakka graduated from Andhra University, with B.A.L and LL.B degrees. He holds an LL.M. degree from the School of Oriental African Studies (SOAS) London, and has M. Phil., and a Ph.D. degrees in International Law from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi, India. He completed his Postgraduate Certificate Course in Learning, Teaching and Research in Higher Education and Postgraduate Diploma in French Language, Literature and Culture from the National University of Ireland (NUI), Galway, Republic of Ireland. He has also obtained a PG Diploma in Industrial Relations, Personal Management and Labor Welfare.
He was a British Chevening Scholar at SOAS in 2015-16. Prior to this, he worked as Associate Professor of Law at Symbiosis Law School, Hyderabad; Associate Professor of Law and Registrar at National Law University and Judicial Academy, Assam (NLUJAA); Lecturer at the School of Law, National University of Ireland (NUI), Galway; and was a Legal Adviser to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Regional Delegation for South Asia, New Delhi, India. He was a Research Associate at the Indian Society of International Law (ISIL). He has published research articles and three books in the field of International Humanitarian Law and International Aviation and Space Law. He has presented several research papers in national and international conference and workshops and was invited by various Law Schools and Universities in India to deliver lectures. He was also invited by UGC Academic Staff colleges in India to deliver lecturers in the UGC Refresher and Orientation Programs. He was associated as a judge with Manfred Lachs International Space Law Moot Court Competition for Asia-Pacific Round, Stetson International Environmental Law Moot Court Competitions, Henry Dunant Memorial Moot Court Competition in India and South Asia Region, Price Media Law Moot Programme organised by the University of Oxford. He participated as a researcher at the Centre for Studies and Research in International Law and International Relations in 2015 at The Hague Academy of International Law.
Dr. Chakka has taught undergraduate and postgraduate students of Law in areas of Public International Law; International Humanitarian Law; International Human Rights Law; International Criminal Law; Human Rights and Business; International Aviation Law and Space Law; Criminal Law; Jurisprudence and Indian Legal System; Legal Methods and Legal Research.
He is an Executive Council member of the Indian Society of International Law, member of the European Society of International Law, and a member of the All India Law Teachers Congress.
He is an active researcher in the fields of international law and his research interests are in the areas of Public International Law; International Aviation and Space Law; International Humanitarian Law; Human Rights Law; International Criminal Law; Transnational Organized Crime and Money Laundering; International Criminal Tribunals; Human Rights and Business; International Law of Maritime Piracy Law; Development and Globalization; Colonialism and International Law; and Transitional Justice.
- “Settlement of Commercial Disputes in International Air Transport: A Legal Study” Published by LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, AV Akademikerverlag GmbH & Co. KG, Saarbrücken, Germany.
- Co-Editor of the edited volume of the book titled International Humanitarian Law: A Reader for South Asia published by the International Committee of the Red Cross, Regional Delegation for South Asia, New Delhi.
- Co-editor of the book titled Custom as a Source of International Humanitarian Law, published by International Committee of the Red Cross, Regional Delegation for South Asia, New Delhi.
- “Arms Race in 21st Century” – Where we are on the issue of Space Security, Peaceful Uses of Outer Space and the Prevention of Arms Race in Outer Space – An Analysis” Balakista Reddy (eds.), “Space Law and Contemporary Issues Perspectives on Asia Pacific Region”.
- Sovereign Immunity and International Criminal Prosecutions: A Study of Omar Al-Bashir’s Case, in ISIL Yearbook on International Humanitarian Law and Refugee Law
- The United Nations Convention on Transnational Organised Crimes: the Study of the Measures to Combat Money Laundering, Indian Journal of International Law.
- Seeking Compliance and Responsibility: A Study of Non-State Actor’s obligations in Armed Conflicts under International Law, in ISIL Yearbook on International Humanitarian Law and Refugee Law.
- “Transnational Organized Crime and International Humanitarian Law”, in Journal of International Humanitarian Legal Studies, (published by Martinus Nijhoff).
- “Commercial Disputes Settlement Mechanism in international Air Transportation: A Search for Viable Alternatives”, in Indian Journal of International Law.
- The Prevention of Arms Race in Outer Space-Current Challenge to International Space Law, in Indian Journal of International Law.
- Evolving International Criminal Jurisprudence through Ad hoc International Criminal Tribunals: A Case Study of ICTY, in ISIL Yearbook of International Humanitarian and Refugee Law.
- Situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in the Case of the Prosecutor v. Thomas Lubanga Dyilo: A Critical Comment, in National University of Study and Research Journal, Ranchi.
- Published a book review on Conflict and Cooperation in South Asia’s International Rivers: A Legal Perspective. Authored by Salman M.A. Salman and Kishore Uprety, Indian Journal of International Law.
- Published a book review on The Elsewhere People: Cross-Border Migration, Refugee Protection and State Response, Edited by Omprakash Mishra and Anindyo J. Mujumdar, in the ISIL Yearbook of International Humanitarian and Refugee Law.
- Prepared a Module on “Protection of Victims of Armed Conflict” in the subject of International Human Rights Law, for the E-Patashala programme sponsored by the MHRD under its project National Mission on Education Through ICT (NME-ICT).